Episode 069: How to do Short-Term Missions with Excellence - Part 2
Jan 16, 2018Randy Schmor outlines what it means for a short-term mission to be "mutually designed". In the context of long-term relationship, an excellent short-term mission collaboratively plans each specific outreach for the benefit of all participants.
What do you think of this episode?
Randy Schmor currently serves as Gateway Director for the North American Baptist Conference and has led and trained short-term missions teams for over two decades. He also serves on the board of Standards of Excellence in Short-term Mission. Randy uses the Standards of Excellence guidelines to help empower others to build appropriate and thriving global partnerships.
In this Episode:
- Mutual design of a short-term mission is based on the foundation of long-term partnership.
- Mutual design means that the designing and planning for any given short-term mission is a collaborative effort.
- Without mutual design, we’re not truly leveraging the entire body of Christ and the role that each party has to play in God’s kingdom work.
- Collaborative discussions are a pre-requisite for mutual design so that relationships are solidified. The design aspect can take place out of strong relationships.
- Short-term mission is done best in the context of long-term relationship.
- Senders and Goers need to have humility, and need to understand the goals, needs, and hearts of the hosting ministry.
- A strategic vision trip can be an important step in understanding the needs of the hosting ministry, and in building relationships.
- A mutually designed mission initatiative should have on-field methods and activities aligned to long-term strategies.
- Key quality indicators (KQI’s) can help you evaluate whether a short-term mission is mutually designed.
- The connection of short-term mission to long-term partnership needs to be understood not only by leaders, but by Goers and the church.
- It is important that the pastor of a church is supportive of the long-term partnership.
- Standards of Excellence in Short-Term Missions offers conferences such as Standards Introductory Workshops and also sponsors workshop tracks on short-term mission including presence at the Missio Nexus conference and the International Wholistic Missions Conference.
- Randy offers workshops on Best Practices in Leading Short-term Teams and Best Practices in Long-term partnerships. Information about these workshops can be found on the NAB website.
- Contact Randy Schmor through the NAB website or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources are provided as recommendations only.
- North American Baptist Conference
- Standards of Excellence in Short-Term Mission Website
- Standards of Excellence (SOE)
- Overview of the Standards of Excellence
- The Standards of Excellence Detailed Booklet
- Standards Introductory Workshops
- Missio Nexus conference
- International Wholistic Missions Conference
- Randy Schmor Workshops
- NAB website