Episode 070: How to do Short-Term Missions with Excellence - Part 3
Jan 24, 2018Tory Ruark unpacks how comprehensive administration and qualified leadership are of high importance in a short-term mission initiative. This episode is filled with practical ideas and resources to help you with logistics, risk management, communications, and developing leaders for your short-term mission.
What do you think of this episode?
Tory Ruark has been a Short-term Missions Coach with DELTA Ministries since 2004, and COO of Standards of Excellence in Short-Term Mission (SOE) since 2016. He has experience in short-term missions in a number of roles including being a team leader, mobilizer, trainer, and pastor. Among other responsibilities, he coordinated DELTA’s response to the earthquake in Haiti that mobilized hundreds of short-term workers.
In this Episode:
- “Comprehensive Administration” means covering the administrative details of a short-term mission.
- We need to be truthful in the promotion, finances, and reporting of a short-term mission initiative.
- Be truthful by being mindful of the motivations that you are tugging at in people to ask them to participate.
- Be truthful by being above board and accountable in finances.
- Be truthful by reporting the results of a short-term mission in a way that is consistent with long-term impact and with the process of the short-term mission.
- Appropriate risk management means identifying and communicating the risks, mitigating them when we can, and being prepared.
- Ahead of a short-term mission there needs to be agreement about the amount of acceptable risk.
- Have an objective way of assessing how much risk there is. Make plans to address the risk.
- Be careful to have medical insurance on a short-term mission.
- The SOE webinar “Is it Worth the Risk?” can help you in developing appropriate risk management.
- The SOE has a newsletter called “The Hub”. In the March 2017 Issue there is an article “Is it Worth the Risk?” by Tory Roark.
- Crisis Consulting International offers great training, resources, and policies.
- To evaluate how effectively you are addressing logistics, survey the participants and hosts about their logistical and administrative preparation and comfort level.
- An excellent short-term mission has “Qualified Leadership”.
- A qualified leader has the right character, skills, and values.
- A qualified leader has Christ-like character, is committed to God’s word and prayer, is a humble servant, and is marked by love.
- A qualified leader is skilled at time-management, administration, interpersonal communication, and conflict resolution.
- A qualified leader values the contributions of others.
- A short-term mission is an excellent opportunity to develop leaders.
- ”Episode 006: Creating Leaders for Short-Term Missions” with Mark Crocker has ideas for developing leaders.
- SOE has a Developing Short-Term Mission Team Leaders Webinar.
- The SOE has an article Choosing Short-Term Mission Team Leader in an Early 2017 edition of “The Hub”.
- Find a resource that helps you understand what you need a leader to do and be like to be successful. Find resources to help them in that.
- Ask people to attend missions conferences such as SOE Approved Conferences, to learn, network, build relationships and find resources.
- Get specific team leadership training such as those offered at STMLeader.com. Standards of Excellence and some member organizations like SEND USA offer team leader training.
- Visit Standards of Excellence in Short-Term Mission, access The 7 Standards Detailed Booklet, contact Tory at firstname.lastname@example.org, and consider joining SOE.
Resources are provided as recommendations only.
- DELTA Ministries
- Standards of Excellence in Short-Term Mission Website
- 7 Standards of Excellence (SOE)
- Overview of the Standards of Excellence
- The Standards of Excellence Detailed Booklet
- Standards Introductory Workshop
- “Is it Worth the Risk?” Workshop
- “The Hub” Newsletter
- “The Hub” March 2017 Issue
- “Is it Worth the Risk?” Article
- Crisis Consulting International
- ”Episode 006: Creating Leaders for Short-Term Missions”
- “Developing Short-Term Mission Team Leaders” Webinar
- :Choosing Short-Term Mission Team Leaders” Article
- Early 2017 edition of “The Hub”
- SOE Approved Conferences
- SEND USA